Skip to main content

Imposter Syndrome: The reality of high achievers

Now, before you guys panic this is not a ailment but it very while might be considering the amount of stress and anxiety it can cause a person.

Okay let me start with the definition of imposter before we dive in deep. An imposter is a person who pretends to be someone else usually for an deceived gain or in simpler words a fraud. Yeah, its one thing to actually be an imposter and a whole other story to feel like one when you're not.

Have you felt like you don't deserve what you achieved or that there people better than you out there who would've made the absolute most of the opportunity that you currently have?

Have you ever felt like you just got lucky? Have you interpreted your accomplishments as a result of you deceiving others into believing that you are more intelligent than you perceive yourself to be?

Yeah, well join the club. I definitely have! Multiple times and still do. So, you are not alone in this. The pressure and stress you feel, multiple amounts people feel it too! 
Imposter syndrome technically defined is a psychological pattern wherein you doubt your accomplishments and have a constant internalized fear of being exposed even though the evidence shows that you are skilled and successful.

Yeah, damn.

It is said to be observed usually in high achievers. The earliest existence was said to be found in high-achieving women and women of colour but it is known to affect men and women the same.

It feels like you are hiding a dirty little secret but its just your insecurity and anxiety speaking. It varies from person to person. But majority of the cases stem from lack of confidence in oneself. The people experiencing imposter syndrome usually fall in one of the following five subgroups:
1. The Perfectionists:
  • Set unrealistic goals and are not satisfied till 100% of the goal is achieved.
2. The Experts:
  • Need to know everything about the topic before they start a project. 
  • Won't apply for a job unless they don't meet 100% of the criteria. 
  • Are hesitant to ask questions or speak up in a meeting in the fear of being ridiculed.
3. The Natural genius:
  • They are fast learners and are used to getting skills easily thus when they have to put in effort or work hard for something their brain tells them that this is proof that they are and have always been an imposter.
4. The Soloist:
  • They are the individuals who need to do everything themselves and if any situation they need to ask for help or assistance, to them its a sign that they are a fraud.
5. The Superman or superwomen
  • They are the individuals who feel the need to be the best in all the roles in their life. As a parent, at work and as a partner. Any kind of mistake confirms to them that they are an imposter.
I'm sure all of us at some point in life doubt ourselves and think we were just luckier than others but thats definitely NOT true. You are who you are because you worked for it and deserved every bit of it. Trust that and try to believe in yourself and your capabilities.

It can occur at workplaces, in school basically anywhere. So, Chai is there a way to overcome this?

Ofcourse there is!

Now, before you read the measures and roll your eyes, listen to me when i say they are effective! The measures sound simple enough but might take a long time to work into existence in your daily life, which is understandable too.

The measures include:

1. Educate yourself about the syndrome and try to recognise the imposter feelings as and when they emerge.

2. Talk about it. Talk to people. Who knows? they might be in the same situation as you and talking to them would definitely give you a new perspective. 

3. Try to reiterate failure as a learning opportunity.

4. Be kind to yourself. Humans are the most compassionate and empathetic beings out there, so take advantage of it and show yourself the same amount of compassion and kindness.

5. Don't be afraid to seek help. You don't have to do everything on your own.

So, lets work on it together yeah? We can do it! 

This was inspired by the seminar that Jessica Terry gave on the imposter syndrome which I had the priviledge of attending, thanks to TalentSprint! You were absolutely amazing Jessica and the talk really inspired me to want to share the same with my peers. Hopefully I did it some justice haha!

I hope this was helpful to you guys and if you have ever felt this way, please know that you aren't alone and we are in this together!
Its a goodbye for now but I'll be back again with another post soon!


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your positive feedback! It's appreciated alot.

      Delete
  2. Your thought process to start is unique and praise worthy, You deserve the appreciation for your insight Great Going👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you so much for your kind words! The encouragement means alot to me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Validation. My thoughts and struggles with it.

Hey guys, its Chai here! I know I have been gone for a while but you see life happens and certain priorities change. But inspiration struck me this one night when I could not sleep and I decided to pin my thoughts on this very notorious word "Validation". So, before I start I would just like to say this is my opinion and understanding of the word and I know people might agree and disagree with my opinion. Either way, please let me know your thoughts as well. I would love to read different point of views from you guys! Lets get started! So, I won't talk about anyone else. I want to talk about me and what validation meant to me and why for the longest time I associated it with my self-esteem and success in life. Oh boy! This is going to get up close and personal but I know I am not alone in this. Being bought up in an Indian family as the academically talented eldest child means there are a lot of expectations from you. These expectations being both academic and behavioral.

The Chameleon effect( Are you a chameleon?)

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying the last post received alot of love and I'm honestly really grateful for your support! I'll try my best to bring more interesting topics to you guys!  Now let's get into the topic which we came for! Okay, so you know how you hangout with a person for too long and you actually start becoming them? You know what I'm talking about don't you?  You start talking like them, laughing like them, adapt their body language. While talking to your friend with an accent, have you found yourself gaining the accent to a certain extent too?  Yup happened to me too! I realised when I've been with a certain person for a long time I tend to act like them little by little, slowly adapting their mannerisms into my daily life and the fact that I don't even realise it is absolutely mind boggling. This phenomenon my friends, has a scientific name! It's called the chameleon effect!