Skip to main content

The infamous F-word( Its high time we talked about it)

Now, before I freak anyone out or get shouted at for clickbaiting I'd like to clarify that by the infamous F-word I mean Feminism! Bet you didn't think I'd be dropping that f-bomb haha. 

Yeah, after alot of contemplation I finally decided to pin down my understanding of feminism and what it actually means to be a feminist. I've realised that lengthy articulate definitions don't hit the spot like simple and heartfelt words do. So, first and foremost I'd like to give you an example to help you grasp the word better.

Yup! you got it. I'm pretty sure 99% of people truly desire equality but are afraid of this word which basically means the very same. However, I do understand why this might be the case. We human beings are often afraid of things we don't understand and trust me half of us don't know the true meaning of this word. But here's the funny thing it isn't a new concept at all. It has always existed but it is only now that its existence has been brought to light. 

Feminism although was originally started as a movement to empower women and to protect women's rights has evolved alot through the years. The notion of the word has changed alot and I personally  understood the meaning of this word after Emma Watson's UN speech. I'll leave a link to it at the end of this blog for people who are interested.

As the newer generation of millenials is approaching adulthood I feel the need to help understand this word better to those who might be sceptical of it. Feminism or being a feminist simply means that you believe in equality for everyone regardless of their gender identity, skin color, race, social status etc.


Through the years I feel like the true meaning of the word has been lost in the world of memes. Although I can take a joke, I donot condone racist jokes and female degradation. It gets my blood boiling whenever I hear anyone describe as boys being "girly" if they show the slightest hint of emotion or whenever I see a girl being labelled as a prostitute or "asking for it" just for dressing the way she wants to. It angers me when I hear parents justify their son's wrongdoings as "boys will be boys". No! Absolutely not! Boys will be what they are taught to be! Toxic masculinity is a very strong problem all over the world and the scary part is its normalization.

If anyone of the above examples angers you too, congratulations you are a feminist. 

I have had people tell me that I'm too sensitive or incapable of taking a joke after deliberately body-shaming me or telling me how I'd be prettier if I lost weight. I'm sorry but I did not ask for your opinion. People use racial slurs all the time to insult the artists I truly admire and trust me it hurts alot even if it isn't aimed directly at me. I just don't understand what sort of sadistic pleasure do you receive after being blatantly racist and crude to someone. You may not enjoy something that I absolutely love and I get that. In English thats called a preference and I understand it but why do YOU not understand that just because a boy is well dressed or likes to maintain basic hygiene it doesn't give you the right to call him girly or gay. That's his preference! 

Is it really that tough to understand?

 If I respect your preferences, you can damn well be sure that I won't stay quiet if you insult or shame mine.

The latest situation of the boys locker room shook me to my core. I truly wonder if such a situation would exist if the meaning of consent and respect was taught to those young boys. This situation is exactly why we need feminism and eradication of toxic masculinity. 

I hope through the blog atleast I was able to atleast make you understand the meaning of the word. The word feminism although has a lot of shades and layers and what I have stated is just the tip of the iceberg. 

There's just one question I'd like to ask you now:

 If you are not a feminist yet, why not?

Let me know whats stopping you from being one!


Link for Emma Watson's speech for people who'd like to educate themselves further:

https://youtu.be/gkjW9PZBRfk

There are many other articles and posts if you want to get further information. Feel free to do your own research, this is just my take on it.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Validation. My thoughts and struggles with it.

Hey guys, its Chai here! I know I have been gone for a while but you see life happens and certain priorities change. But inspiration struck me this one night when I could not sleep and I decided to pin my thoughts on this very notorious word "Validation". So, before I start I would just like to say this is my opinion and understanding of the word and I know people might agree and disagree with my opinion. Either way, please let me know your thoughts as well. I would love to read different point of views from you guys! Lets get started! So, I won't talk about anyone else. I want to talk about me and what validation meant to me and why for the longest time I associated it with my self-esteem and success in life. Oh boy! This is going to get up close and personal but I know I am not alone in this. Being bought up in an Indian family as the academically talented eldest child means there are a lot of expectations from you. These expectations being both academic and behavioral.

Imposter Syndrome: The reality of high achievers

Now, before you guys panic this is not a ailment but it very while might be considering the amount of stress and anxiety it can cause a person. Okay let me start with the definition of imposter before we dive in deep. An imposter is a person who pretends to be someone else usually for an deceived gain or in simpler words a fraud. Yeah, its one thing to actually be an imposter and a whole other story to feel like one when you're not. Have you felt like you don't deserve what you achieved or that there people better than you out there who would've made the absolute most of the opportunity that you currently have? Have you ever felt like you just got lucky? Have you interpreted your accomplishments as a result of you deceiving others into believing that you are more intelligent than you perceive yourself to be? Yeah, well join the club. I definitely have! Multiple times and still do. So, you are not alone in this. The pressure and stress you feel, multiple am

The Chameleon effect( Are you a chameleon?)

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying the last post received alot of love and I'm honestly really grateful for your support! I'll try my best to bring more interesting topics to you guys!  Now let's get into the topic which we came for! Okay, so you know how you hangout with a person for too long and you actually start becoming them? You know what I'm talking about don't you?  You start talking like them, laughing like them, adapt their body language. While talking to your friend with an accent, have you found yourself gaining the accent to a certain extent too?  Yup happened to me too! I realised when I've been with a certain person for a long time I tend to act like them little by little, slowly adapting their mannerisms into my daily life and the fact that I don't even realise it is absolutely mind boggling. This phenomenon my friends, has a scientific name! It's called the chameleon effect!