Skip to main content

Shani Shingnapur (The village with no doors or locks)



In this day and age of highly paranoid people and sophisticated security systems do you happen to know anyone who has no door or locks on their house? Who leaves their house with valuables without any protection? 

Are you kidding me? Absolutely no. Atleast not in cities where the crime rate is higher than ever. If you're anything like me and read a lot of true crime then you are highly paranoid just like i am. But the people of a small village of Shani Shingnapur beg to differ.

Like me if you have been to Shirdi in the state of Maharashtra you know that Shani Shingnapur is just a few hours away from it and is the home to the largest number of devotees of Lord Shani,the god of Saturn who is believed to be the guardian of the village.

The inhabitants of village have no front doors and shops are always left unlocked. Despite this the locals never feel unsafe.

Can't relate? Well trust me, me neither!




The Legend behind this phenomenon is that about 300 years ago, after heavy rain and flooding a heavy black slab of rock washed up on the shores of the river Panasnala, which once flowed through the village. When the villagers investigated the said slab by touching it with a stick, blood apparently oozed out of it.

The legend further states that later in the night, Lord Shani appeared in the dreams of the village head, revealing that the said slab was his idol and further ordered that the slab should be kept in the village where he would reside and watch over the village ensuring safety and protecting the village from dangers. The deity however had one condition that the rock and its powers must never be sheltered considering tha fact that he had to oversee the village.

Wheww! Bet you didn't know that. But if you did, give yourself a pat on your back.
Due to the villagers undying faith in Lord Shani, the villagers further discarded all doors and locks since it was unecessary with the deity protecting them. 

Throughout centuries this tradition has carried on. The locals are super nonchalant about leaving their valuables without any protection and surprisingly the crime rate in the village is pretty non-existent! 

Although some sceptics argue that the low rate of crime is pertinent to the remote location rather than the miraculous powers of the lord.

Believe what you want! But the fact that a place like this exists in this age of crime absolutely blows my mind!


If you enjoyed reading this post do let me know in the comments and if you know any other places like this I'd love to know about them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Validation. My thoughts and struggles with it.

Hey guys, its Chai here! I know I have been gone for a while but you see life happens and certain priorities change. But inspiration struck me this one night when I could not sleep and I decided to pin my thoughts on this very notorious word "Validation". So, before I start I would just like to say this is my opinion and understanding of the word and I know people might agree and disagree with my opinion. Either way, please let me know your thoughts as well. I would love to read different point of views from you guys! Lets get started! So, I won't talk about anyone else. I want to talk about me and what validation meant to me and why for the longest time I associated it with my self-esteem and success in life. Oh boy! This is going to get up close and personal but I know I am not alone in this. Being bought up in an Indian family as the academically talented eldest child means there are a lot of expectations from you. These expectations being both academic and behavioral.

Imposter Syndrome: The reality of high achievers

Now, before you guys panic this is not a ailment but it very while might be considering the amount of stress and anxiety it can cause a person. Okay let me start with the definition of imposter before we dive in deep. An imposter is a person who pretends to be someone else usually for an deceived gain or in simpler words a fraud. Yeah, its one thing to actually be an imposter and a whole other story to feel like one when you're not. Have you felt like you don't deserve what you achieved or that there people better than you out there who would've made the absolute most of the opportunity that you currently have? Have you ever felt like you just got lucky? Have you interpreted your accomplishments as a result of you deceiving others into believing that you are more intelligent than you perceive yourself to be? Yeah, well join the club. I definitely have! Multiple times and still do. So, you are not alone in this. The pressure and stress you feel, multiple am

The Chameleon effect( Are you a chameleon?)

Firstly I'd like to start off by saying the last post received alot of love and I'm honestly really grateful for your support! I'll try my best to bring more interesting topics to you guys!  Now let's get into the topic which we came for! Okay, so you know how you hangout with a person for too long and you actually start becoming them? You know what I'm talking about don't you?  You start talking like them, laughing like them, adapt their body language. While talking to your friend with an accent, have you found yourself gaining the accent to a certain extent too?  Yup happened to me too! I realised when I've been with a certain person for a long time I tend to act like them little by little, slowly adapting their mannerisms into my daily life and the fact that I don't even realise it is absolutely mind boggling. This phenomenon my friends, has a scientific name! It's called the chameleon effect!